Sunday, August 3, 2014

It's not just for now

If I've learned one thing after twenty-five years in education, it is that teachers are super-heroes.  They may not wear spandex and a cape (or they may, but that's another story) but they show up every day and do heroic things.  This blog is dedicated to all the amazing, hardworking, dedicated professional educators I have the privilege of working along side each day.  I hope to tell their stories.  I hope to encourage and inspire.  Most of all, I hope to shine the light on the how they touch the future every day.  You see, when a student crosses the threshold of a teacher's door destiny walks in.  Whether it is for an entire school year or just a month, that teacher gets to be a part of that child's destiny.  I'm not naive enough to believe that we leave an indelible impression on every child we teach, but I do believe there are those certain ones for whom we were part of their life plan.  So - here's the story of Marty (not his real name.)  

When I was a second grade teacher I had a very sweet, quiet, pensive young man in my class.  He was extremely bright.  His contributions during class discussions were advanced.  He was profound and articulate.  He also couldn't concentrate long enough to get his name on his paper or complete any work.  How frustrating must that be to have such a high intellect, yet not be able to produce with it.  The other unique thing about Marty was that he was a vacuum cleaner expert.  His mom told me that from the time he was two years old he was fascinated with vacuum cleaners and everything about them.  He knew which ones were best for which kind of flooring; he knew where the various vacuum cleaner factories were in the United States.  Any question you had about vacuums, he had the answer.

One day I was sitting at my table watching him gaze off into space yet again.  He would get so frustrated if I reminded him to get to work.  He was mad at himself and I could tell it was affecting him.  Suddenly, I remembered an old Kirby vacuum cleaner I had stored under the stairs at home.  It had a box with all sorts of attachments.  It was a little kid vacuum expert's dream.  The next day, I drug that whole thing up to school and made a deal with him.  We divided his day into ten minute segments.  Every time he finished something during that time frame, he earned five minutes of "Kirby Time."  I kept it behind my teacher table, and he would go back there and explore, try out the different parts, anything he wanted to do.  When Kirby Time was done, he would pick up with his schedule and do the next part.  It wasn't a perfect solution, but he was able to get enough things done each day to feel good about his day when he went home. 

I struggled about sharing this story, because I didn't want it to seem like I was tooting my own horn.  My goal is to say this - every teacher has the resources he or she needs to solve these problems.  We have each other, we have ideas, we have faith, we have the will.  Let's use each other, and let's share our victories.  I think Marty's probably out of high school by now.  I'd love to know what he's up to.  He's probably the CEO of Kirby Company.  Who knows?

Remember as the new school year starts in a couple of weeks that you are a super-hero and you do noble and valuable work.  You will have the unique opportunity to be part of the destiny of a child this year.  How many people can say that? 

2 comments:

  1. I love where you said, "Let's use each other, and let's share our victories." This speaks volumes to me. We need to be each other's cheerleaders. We are much stronger together than we are alone. Thanks for being such a leader on our campus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, I am so proud of your for staring this blog and telling your Marty story. All of us have had a Marty in our class but not all are confident enough to share the experience. Like Jessica said, we are better together than alone. I hope others will begin to share their stories so as teachers we can grow stronger together. You are the beginning of a movement for your colleagues.

    ReplyDelete