Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What box?

So, we keep being told to think out of the box and I used to feel a little threatened about that idea.  I liked the idea of my box.  It was safe in there - comfortable - easy.  Gradually, though, I decided to open one flap of the top of my box.  I peeked out and looked around, sniffed the air, and realized it wasn't so bad.  So - I opened another flap and another, until my entire box lid was open.  Last year I coordinated 16 authors to join us for World Read Aloud Day.  Various teachers invited the authors via Discovery.  I won't lie - I was a nervous wreck.  I didn't sleep the night before for fear that all these well known and very busy authors would try to connect with us that day and not be able to.  People would be mad and throw tomatoes at me, or something equally vile, and I would be humiliated.  "That's what happens when you venture out of your box!" I would say in my imaginary conversation with myself.  But, the truth was all but one connected and it was a huge success.  Eleanor Roosevelt said something to the effect that we must do that we think we cannot.  I agree.  So, this year I'm thinking about putting my box in the recycling bin (it is cardboard, after all) and seeing how the world feels without the walls of my box closing me in.  I'm sort of like Scaredy Squirrel.  My world was neat and orderly and well-planned, but something happened to propel me and him out of the tree and into "the unknown."  It's okay out there - if I can do it you can too, so my challenge to you is - step out of your box and try it.  Let's talk about the challenge and support each other along the way.  Let me know what you think. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Way to be a risk taker and come out of that box! Let's recycle your box and turn it into something amazing! Leading by example at it's finest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,
    Even as an art teacher I think sometimes I want to say in my box. Thanks for setting the standard and helping us all see and crawl out ourselves!

    Ruth.. Still gotta set up the Blog!

    ReplyDelete